The main role, I would say, that education should play in our society is to evolve as a society and culture. Generally speaking, the more educated a society the more a society benefits. Education helps us to build a better community. Because we have built upon the knowledge of people before us we have public roads, parks and libraries. We've explored our galaxy and space with an understanding that wasn't even thought possible 30 years ago. Countries situated in the ring of fire are able to locate with exact precision the epi- center of an earthquake and alert their people in enough time so they can save their lives. We have made medical advancements in the last 100 years so doctor's are able to treat and cure illnesses that would have been fatal. I'm not trying to veer of course with a topic of why education is important, but I am trying to tie in the importance education has had on our society and this advance is the role of education. We have advanced in almost all areas of knowledge and that is because our society as a whole continues to educate themselves. There are thousands of neighborhoods in the United States, almost every American town or city has one, graduation rates have declined, poverty is abundant and the crime rate is high. I don't believe that every person who has been uneducated is going to become a criminal, nor do I believe that educated people are exempt from a life of crime. What I am saying is that the majority of well educated people do not end up in a life of crime and poverty. So, I believe the main role of education is to advance as a society and better ourselves and build upon the previous generations' knowledge.
You can see how my beliefs align with the societal function of education and my values line up pretty closely to that as well. I am one of the first in my family to have received a college education. I valued education because it was instilled in me at a very early age that I could grow up to be anything I wanted to be as long as I received a college education. I believed my parents when they told me this and so far they haven't been wrong. Every career path I've taken since receiving my BFA has been possible because I had a college degree. Since I value education, I saw it play a vital role in my life, I believe it is also vital for the foundation we lay for future generations.
I've talked a lot about the societal aspect of education and now I'd like to discuss the individual aspects. My role as a teacher in this system will be to teach to the highest standard so that each child can and will have the right and opportunity to achieve their dreams, goals and aspirations. The role of the student will be learn from what I have to teach.
My philosophy incorporates students from ALL cultures because I believe every child is capable of learning as long as it is done in a nurturing and loving environment. They may not all learn at the same rate but eventually, they will all achieve the same level. My goal as a teacher will be to give each child the ability to think for themselves in a safe, non-threatening environment. Of course I will have to 'teach to the test' if standardized testing is still in place, but ultimately I would like each of my students to be able to think critically for I believe that is the pinnacle od educational achievement. Not learning by rote or memory, but being able to understand the world with a critical mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment