Saturday, July 23, 2011

Following a blog!

I have to say this was one of the most frustrating assignments yet.  Sorry to be a killjoy but I DO NOT get the purpose of blogging.  I finally found a site after looking at more than 20.  It is http://ourjourneythroughsecondgrade.blogspot.com/  I was searching for second grade teacher's blogs since that's what I want to teach.  Was I looking for something I wasn't supposed to find?  Was I expecting too much?  Every site I went to was blurbs on people's ideas of what works.  Most of the sites I visited were blog groups, so I couldn't follow any one person.  I had a hard time finding dates to see if the info was current and I had no way to know if they had any followers because I didn't see any.  So does that mean they don't?  I don't know and I feel so confused. One of the sites had the second grade teacher, teaching how to use smart boards to adults.  I don't get it!!!  Either I missed the point of the assignment or I just really don't get blogging. I didn't find any useful information.  In fact it was useless tidbits that I wouldn't have spent over an hour on the internet trying to find had it not been for this assignment.  I was not able to answer Catron's questions because I found nothing useful.  I googled second grade teaching blogs.  That was my search.  It yielded many sites that I found to be dead-ends.  So can you help me ladies?  I'm either completely lost or I'm okay with knowing blogging isn't something I will pursue.  I feel like I'm missing something here.  HELP!

3 comments:

Rachael AM said...

Hi Debora - I'm sorry the assignment was so frustrating for you. Maybe you'll find the blogs Miriam and I found useful? One of the main problems with blogs is that a lot of it is just people publishing info because they can...it is hard to find a reliable source. Let me know if you don't find anything helpful and maybe I can point you toward something next week. Maybe try a different search - like second grade teacher blogs? I judge the blogs by how many followers they have and usually, you can find that info on the right hand side of the screen. Let me know if there's any way I can help you. The blog you found looks like a good one though...maybe you should check it out when you aren't feeling so frustrated with the blogosphere : ) Have a good Sunday! RAM

Miriam said...

Hi Debora- sorry I haven't responded until now. All I did to find a blog was google '3rd grade teacher blog'. Though I think I found a couple that are good, I had to go thru several until I got there. Many, many blogs are dead ends (as you discovered) and some of them I could not even understand what they were trying to say or do in their blog. I also found many that were not active (or the last post was from several years ago). All in all, I spent a couple of hours just sorting thru blogs-- not my idea of fun. I am hoping that since I have found a couple that I will be able to implement some of the ideas I see there. Here are the two I found... One Extra Degree, and Lesson Plan SOS. Hope this helps. By the way, I didn't even look at our Philogging assignment so I missed Catron's questions as well. :-{ Miriam

E.O.G. said...

Debora,
I'm sorry you had such a frustrating and difficult time with this philogging assignment. I know I have trouble interpreting blogs that aren't "blogspot" blogs. You may find this website helpful, it is the 100 best teaching blogs: http://www.clearvieweducation.com/blog/2009/100-best-blogs-for-teachers-of-the-future/
There are so many different blogs there, I think you will be able to find something valuable to use in your classroom. I know I want to teach elementary school but I am really undecided about what specific grade I would like to teach (honestly I will probably take whatever position is offered to me when the time comes) so I chose not to narrow down my search field to "4th grade" or "2nd grade" but instead left it open with just "blog elementary school teacher". Hope this helps!