Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Theory of Impact

      There has been so much information this semester in this class, all of which I found very interesting but very condense.  I feel like I missed out with not having time for all of the readings because it was all very informative and it brought up issues for me that I never even considered.  It quenched my thirst for knowledge and I really loved our class discussions.  I think this class should be split into two sections to ensure the students have time to absorb all of the material, and have time to philosophize on all of the inportant issues that were brought to the table.  Iknow that would've helped me a lot because it was all too compressed.
          When I first decided I wanted to be a teacher, the reasons were numerous.  Of course I love children and I love to teach.  That aside, the 6.5 hr workdays, 4 months off a year, having a schedule that coincided with my soon to be Kindergardener's schedule made it a slam dunk decision.  People say teachers don't get paid a lot.  I plan on getting my Master's and that salary is nearly equivalent to a $40/hr paying job.  I've had a lot of crap jobs, too many to remember in fact, and I actuallly think teacher get paid pretty well considering we have off 4 months off a year!!!  I never even thought of the social impact I would have, truthfully didn't even know that was an issue.  So I think my main reasons for teaching were mostly about me and what fits my family's needs. I even considered working for private schools so that my son could attend at a greatly reduced tuition rate.  We are moving out of the south valley next year when he starts kindergarden so he can attend better public schools than the south valley has to offer.
         As far as social change?  I don't see that happening on a national level.  The issues surrounding this educational system of ours is so big in this country, so big that it overwhelms me.  Honestly, I don't think I can make one bit of difference on a national level.  I don't say this out of a defeatist attitude but more out of modesty.  I bow my head to the system.  I will do my best on a local level, even if that means just one student within my community.  I will strive to make a difference at the local level but I feel like such a hippocrite because I will teach for the public schools but I really wish my son didn't have to atend one.  So as far as social change is concerned, I will do my best at the local level but I don't see that impacting at the national level.  Although I will be honest, in the back of my mind I have this fantasy of being a hard working public school teacher who has made such an impact on the local level that it does get recognized at the national level.  That maybe, just maybe, I can make a difference at the national level. 
         The main goals for the children I teach is that they all leave my classroom at the end of the year with a feeling that someone cared for them and believed in them.  That they might walk out of my room with more self-esteem and confidence, then they walked in with.  I want them to know that someone cared about them and their well being. I want my impact to be that they can move on into the world as critical thinkers.  They can apply what was taught to them and apply it to real life situations.  They will be ableto think for themselves and not just follow rules or orders because someone told them to.  I want them to question the world around them, question answers if they don't think it's the corret one.  I want them to never be afraid to express their individuality, to be who they are and embrace their life, their world and realize the impact THEY make in their community and on society.  I want them to love to learn, be excited about the institution of schooling, to feel that they 'get' to go to school, not that they 'have' to go to school.  I want my impact to be that they can be individuals, and that their uniqueness is what is going to impact their world, their future. 
        I DO want to make a difference.  I love knowing that I had an impact on a child's life because I rememeber how vital, how lifesaving, it was was for me when a teacher I admired and looked up to made an impact on my life. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah,

It sounds like you have experienced a lot of growth this semester. I agree that there wasn't enough time to digest or read all of the information, which wasn't helped by a condensed semester! But I saved all the class readings because I want to be able to read the ones I didn't get to.

I think at this point it is OK to focus more on the individual and local levels. After all, those are the levels that we see the most change and feel that we have the most influence. But as Catron pointed out, we can also do what we can to inform our representatives what we want in regards to education policy. Perhaps as you become less overwhelmed with the many dynamics of the teaching profession, you'll be able to find more ways that you can affect the national level, should that become something you are interested in in the future.

I appreciated your honesty in this blog and encourage you to continue to your reflection on who you are, why you choose to teach, and the impact you hope to make.

~Lacey

Miriam said...

Hi Debora,
One thing I think you have not mentioned is that by impacting one child at the local level, you could very well be impacting social change. It all has to start somewhere. Just being the teacher that is admired and looked up to might make a difference. A student could be changed dramatically by you and your classroom. Don't forget the impact you can have on one life. Those are the lives that will fill you with blessings as you teach. Each life is worthwhile and focusing on each student is more important than focusing so intently at the national level that you forget the little ones that need you daily.

I have enjoyed reading your blog and finding out about who Debora is more and more. Thank you for your honesty and forthrightness.

Miriam

Catron said...

Debora,
I have enjoyed following your blog this semester and watching your thinking grow and change. In some ways I think that impact theory is a way to say that it is okay to focus on the local level and your circle of influence. You know firsthand the power that one teacher can make and have the drive and dedication to be there for your students. Thank you for your honesty and willingness to discuss issues that aren't always easy! Keep up the blogging!

Rachael AM said...

Hi Debora - All I have to say is, when you're feeling overwhelmed, think of Harry Wong! J/K, sorry couldn't resist. One of my favorite things about our LC is how honest all of us have been over the course of the semester. We've all done a lot of self-reflection and I think we've got a good start as far as our teaching careers go. I remember when you told me to 'Think globally, act locally.' Don't forget that advice - the more I learn about our crazy messed up system, the more I think the best things we can do will happen at the local level. Have a great weekend! RAM

E.O.G. said...

Debora,
I just finished reading and commenting on Rachael's blog and based on my response, I share very similar sentiments to you. I also believe that, as teachers, we can only truly influence the students in our class. To try to take on the system from a national level would be futile in my opinion, because it would distract from the job we set out to do, which is teach and influence the 30 or so young minds in our own classroom. I LOVE the goals you have set out for your classroom. What can be more meaningful and empowering to a child than knowing that someone truly cares about and believes in them? If you haven't, I would highly recommend reading Educating Esme. I was really interested in it after that group presented the book in class and I'm equally as glad that I read it(very short and entertaining by the way). In my opinion, she is the perfect example of someone whose focus was the children in her class and her actions continually proved that she was willing to do whatever it took to make their experience in the best it could possibly be. As the others have mentioned, I have also appreciated your honesty throughout the blogging process and truly enjoyed reading your reflection process. I think we had a great LC and hope that we will all stay in touch throughout our time at CNM and beyond.
Erin